Howdy Carryologists. You asked us, via email, page comments, text messages, and carrier-pigeon-Morse-code-smoke-signals, for guidance in where to find used carry products or sell your old packs, and so here we answer…
Our most recent message comes from Jason, a reader we’re stoked to have. He was telling us how his Boreas Bolinas backpack just wasn’t 100% perfect for him and his work/grad school lifestyle, “I don’t do enough outdoor activities to fully utilize the bag’s potential”.
“I feel like someone can use it to its potential. But I have NO IDEA where to sell it. Boreas’ brand name isn’t big enough to go on Ebay, so I was wondering if you guys knew of any marketplaces out there where I could get something like $100US for a bag like this”
As mentioned, we have received a lot of similar messages like this. So we did some serious research, reached out to our networks, and relied upon our personal experience. Below are some awesome options for buying/selling new/used carry and gear on the internet.
The Carry Classifieds list:
1. Ebay (www.ebay.com). There is always Ebay. But as Jason mentioned above, it is not always perfect. We can’t go without mentioning it, though.
2. Craigslist (www.craigslist.org). If you’re in a big enough city with a population who is really into gear, you might be able to get top dollar for your item, or score something really killer for a low price. I imagine some places in Colorado/Idaho/Utah would be incredible for some finds. Maybe you can even meet a gear-addict friend, too.
Now, here are the cool ones…
3. Gear Trade (www.geartrade.com). A solid, well-respected site that is dedicated to buying and selling gear. This is probably the biggest and best site out there for gadgets and some great carry items. Even though it is the biggest and best, you still have to get lucky, as this whole thing is still a niche.
4. Trailspace (www.trailspace.com/forums/classifieds). Another niche site, all about connecting gear-heads with fellow gear-heads. We haven’t personally used this site, but it seems to have a lot of listings and gets positive reviews. More gear than carry it seems.
5. Style Forum (www.styleforum.net/f/32/buying-and-selling). My personal favorite, secret gem. This isn’t really “gear, gear” per say, more dedicated toward men’s fashion stuff, but you’ll often see some amazing carry items appear on these forums. I’ve seen an Acronym bag, a few GORUCK backpacks, one or two Visvims, and even a Kletterwerks rucksack on here. Sometimes you’ll even discover some odd products made only for the Japanese markets, too. Seriously
hard impossible to find items, for less than new prices. That combination is a rare treat. Enjoy.
Do you have any buy/sell/trade resources to share? If you have anything that would be a good addition, leave a comment, and we’ll add it up on here for future reference for all Carryology readers.
…and drop us a line if you score anything great using the sites above, we dig hearing stories like that.
Lastly, what would you all think about a dedicated Carryology buy/sell/trade section? We’ve been thinking about it a lot, but moderating it may take a lot of extra time, which we don’t have very much of. Let us know what you think.
If anyone wants to contact Jason directly about his used Boreas Bolinas, we’ll send him your email address to put you two in touch / we will remove this message if he tells us he sold it Jason’s Boreas Bolinas has been SOLD!)